Sometimes I have a hard time following a recipe. Making sure I have all the ingredients and proper measuring spoons is too constricting and leaves me more stressed than relaxed. So when I get a hankering for something different I usually Google a basic recipe as a guide, and then let myself get creative, making the finished product uniquely mine.
This time I was in the mood for something stodgy like pancakes. But I know traditional pancakes leave me bloated and lethargic. I had tried a really basic egg and banana pancake recipe a few times, but that wasn’t exciting enough for me today.
So I came up a more robust version. You’ll notice the measurements aren’t exact. If that freaks you out, it doesn’t have to! Follow your gut instinct and remember there is no right or wrong way to make pancakes. It’s whatever your taste buds so desire!
- 3 eggs
- 1 ripe banana
- 1-2 tblsp of gluten-free oats (optional)
- 1-2 tblsp of ground seeds (chia, flax, hemp). Increase this if you’re not using oats.
- 1 tblsp of plain greek yogurt (optional… you can always keep it dairy-free)
- 1-2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1-2 tsp of raw cacao powder (this adds protein with a subtle chocolate flavour)
- 1/2 tsp of ginger (try swapping for grated ginger… it will add some sweetness)
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric (here’s where you want to start with less then add more)
- Squeeze of lemon juice just for fun
Play with this and add more seeds or oats, or even ground nuts, if you want thicker pancakes, and add whatever other spices and natural flavourings you’re in the mood for. I didn’t use any essential oils here, but Ginger, Lemon, and Wild Orange come to mind, especially if you want your pancakes to help with digestion or detox.
I found them to be sweet and flavourful enough that I was satisfied without adding any honey or maple syrup on top. I’m sure it’d be great with some fresh or frozen berries though. And maybe even a sliced avocado. Yum!